Thursday, June 3, 2010

How much planning is too much?

We’re packing Iodine pills for potentially unclean water, and pillowcases for potentially unclean sheets. We’re packing our own towels (since we’ve heard we may not have any provided for us) and most of us moms are packing familiar snacks for our kids in the case of a meltdown over unfamiliar foreign food. As a team, we have packed 13 large suitcases filled with supplies for our work in Albania, including clothing, crafts, toys, gifts and snacks for the people we’ll be ministering to. And as we’re finishing up months of planning, praying and preparing the details, I’m still left wondering if I’ll ever be truly spiritually prepared. I’ve had visions of preparing and rehearing my testimony and memorizing scripture, and long intimate talks with my kids on helping them be prepared to share their faith on this trip. However, there are some things that just can’t be scripted and I’m reminded of Beth Moore’s words from a bible study I did last fall, “If we’re not working in the Spirit, then we’re defaulting to the flesh.” So if I had the time to prepare and rehearse my ministry then perhaps I’d be working in my own strength and not relying on God’s power in the moment, which is probably more where He wants me. So I’m choosing to be encouraged and trust that what we have planned and prepared is exactly all that God needs from us ....“do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.”
Matthew 10:19-20

3 comments:

  1. Your testimony will be much more sincere and powerful if it has been thought about (so that it is more concise) but not memorized. That will allow God to work through you to be just the right words for the person(s) listening! So this is one of those Phil 4:8 moments..."do not worry". We wish everyone on your team the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your honesty and your heart and am thrilled to pieces that we're in the adventure together! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Blues Brothers reference.

    ReplyDelete