Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Friend Frank


Frank was one of the guards/caretakers at the Albanian Christian Center where we stayed in Tirana. He was about my age and had been an official in the Ministry of Defense (i.e., a Communist). He lost his job when Communist rule ended about 20 years ago. He's been with the Christian Center for the last 3 years, but I don't know what he did during the in-between years. I talked with him during one afternoon and we became fast friends--in spite of his broken English and my non-existent Albanian. Twice he offered to do our laundry and on the last day, he took me out to coffee. Actually, it was cappuccino and a local drink called Raki (pretty strong stuff!). I think he was responsible for the lush gardens around the center. Quite a guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment